First off, I am going to give you the disclaimer that all astrology bloggers love to give: astrology does not dictate exactly how well people get along. A person’s natal chart does not set into stone what the person’s personality or essence is, so it’s important not to take astrological compatibility too seriously. Even if you and your crush or partner are incompatible astrologically, it does not mean you cannot have a happy, healthy relationship.
Second, the best way to get full, proper insight into the compatibility between two people is to draw the synastry and composite charts for them. You can find chart generators for synastry and composite charts on astro.com in the Extended Chart Selection. I will discuss these charts further in a future post.
What signs are compatible?
Signs that form harmonious aspects are the most compatible. So, signs of the same element or of the same duality (except for the sign’s sister) are the most compatible.
Pairs between the same sign are also good, but not as strong as harmonious aspect pairs.
Different astrologers view the compatibility of sister signs differently. Personally, I believe that sister signs of the mutable and cardinal modalities are compatible, while the sister signs of the fixed modality are less compatible. However, this is very open to interpretation.
Signs that form square aspects are the trickiest. These are signs of the same modality, not including the sign’s sister.
Semisextile and inconjunct pairs are tricky, but not as tricky as the square pairs.
So, here are the signs that are most to least compatible for each sign (using the order: trine pairs, sextile pairs, same sign, sister sign, inconjunct, semisextile, and square):
- ARIES: Sagittarius, Leo; Gemini, Aquarius; Aries; Libra; Virgo, Scorpio; Pisces, Taurus; Capricorn, Cancer
- TAURUS: Virgo, Capricorn; Pisces, Cancer; Taurus; Scorpio; Libra, Sagittarius; Aries, Gemini; Leo, Aquarius
- GEMINI: Aquarius, Libra; Aries, Leo; Gemini; Sagittarius; Capricorn, Scorpio; Cancer, Taurus; Virgo, Pisces
- CANCER: Scorpio, Pisces; Virgo, Taurus; Cancer; Capricorn; Sagittarius, Aquarius; Leo, Gemini; Libra, Aries
- LEO: Aries, Sagittarius; Gemini, Libra; Leo; Aquarius; Pisces, Capricorn; Cancer, Virgo; Taurus, Scorpio
- VIRGO: Capricorn, Taurus; Scorpio, Cancer; Virgo; Pisces; Aries, Aquarius; Libra, Leo; Gemini, Sagittarius
- LIBRA: Aquarius, Gemini; Leo, Sagittarius; Libra; Aries; Taurus, Pisces; Scorpio, Virgo; Cancer, Capricorn
- SCORPIO: Pisces, Cancer; Capricorn, Virgo; Scorpio; Taurus; Aries, Gemini; Sagittarius, Libra; Leo, Aquarius
- SAGITTARIUS: Aries, Leo; Libra, Aquarius; Sagittarius; Gemini; Cancer, Taurus; Capricorn, Scorpio; Pisces, Virgo
- CAPRICORN: Virgo, Taurus; Scorpio, Pisces; Capricorn; Cancer; Leo, Gemini; Aquarius, Sagittarius; Libra, Aries
- AQUARIUS: Gemini, Libra; Aries, Sagittarius; Aquarius; Leo; Virgo, Cancer; Capricorn, Pisces; Scorpio, Taurus
- PISCES: Cancer, Scorpio; Capricorn, Taurus; Pisces; Virgo; Leo, Libra; Aries, Aquarius; Sagittarius, Gemini
What placements do I use?
Of course, you can’t just use sun sign-sun sign compatibility! Figure out your placements and the placements of your partner/crush, and look at interplanetary compatibility. For example, if you are a Virgo sun, Gemini moon, Libra Venus and your partner is a Sagittarius sun, Taurus moon, Capricorn Venus – you have strong sun x moon compatibility and sun x Venus compatibility because Sagittarius sun is compatible with Gemini moon and Libra Venus, and Virgo sun is compatible with Taurus moon and Capricorn Venus. Here are my favorite planets to compare when it comes to compatibility:
- Sun x Sun – how well your personalities work together
- Sun x Moon – how well you balance or understand each other’s emotions and meet each other’s needs
- Moon x Venus – romantic and emotional compatibility
- Sun x Venus – romantic, feminine attraction
- Sun x Mars – sexual, masculine attraction
- Mars x Venus – physical and romantic compatibility
- Mars x Mars – sexual compatibility
- Venus x Venus – romantic compatibility
- Rising x Venus – initial attraction
- Sun x descendant – general attraction
- Juno x Sun – long term attraction