There are three simple ways the zodiac signs are classified and grouped together: the dualities, the elements, and the modalities. Each zodiac sign is a unique combination of an duality, element, and modality.
There are two dualities: masculine and feminine. These aren’t to be confused with the society’s definition of “masculine” and “feminine.” The two dualities simply show us the direction of the signs’ energy.
- The masculine signs are Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius. The masculine duality is also called the extroverted, active, or yang duality. The signs all direct their energy outwards. They tend to be more extroverted and assertive.
- The feminine signs are Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces. The feminine duality is also called the introverted, passive, or yin duality. The signs all direct their energy inwards. They tend to be more introverted and less direct.
There are four elements or triplicities: fire, earth, air, and water. The four elements simply show us basic personality traits associated with the signs’ archetypes. Note that the masculine signs above comprise of the fire and air signs, while the feminine signs comprise of the earth and water signs.
- The fire signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. Fire signs are enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing, passionate, and brave. The fire signs also rule the Houses of Life (the 1st, 5th, and 9th houses).
- The earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. Earth signs are hardworking, sensual, and practical. The earth signs also rule the Houses of Wealth (the 2nd, 6th, and 10th houses).
- The air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. Air signs are intellectual, social, and idealistic. The air signs also rule the Houses of Relationships (the 3rd, 7th, and 11th houses).
- The water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. Water signs are emotional, intuitive, and moody. The water signs also rule the Houses of Endings (the 4th, 8th, and 12th houses).
There are three modalities or quadruplicities: cardinal, fixed, and mutable. The three modalities show us how the signs interact with the world around them.
- The cardinal signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn. Cardinal signs are dynamic, enterprising, with strong leadership qualities. The cardinal signs also rule the Angular Houses (the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th houses).
- The fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius. Fixed signs are stubborn, determined, and relentless. The fixed signs also rule the Succedent Houses (the 2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th houses).
- The mutable signs are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces. Mutable signs are easy-going, flexible, and adaptable. The mutable signs also rule the Cadent Houses (the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th houses).
So look at the zodiac wheel below. Here is the key to the colors used:
- Orange: Cardinal sign
- Purple: Fixed sign
- Pink: Mutable sign
- Red: Fire sign
- Green: Earth sign
- Darker blue: Water sign
- Sky blue: Air sign
- White dot: Masculine
- Black dot: Feminine
So you can see how much pattern exists within the zodiac wheel.
Below is the unique combination of duality, element, and modality for each zodiac sign:
- ARIES: Masculine, Fire, Cardinal
- TAURUS: Feminine, Earth, Fixed
- GEMINI: Masculine: Air, Mutable
- CANCER: Feminine, Water, Cardinal
- LEO: Masculine, Fire, Fixed
- VIRGO: Feminine, Earth, Mutable
- LIBRA: Masculine, Air, Cardinal
- SCORPIO: Feminine, Water, Fixed
- SAGITTARIUS: Masculine, Fire, Mutable
- CAPRICORN: Feminine, Earth, Cardinal
- AQUARIUS: Masculine, Air, Fixed
- PISCES: Feminine, Water, Mutable